Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Divorce, Christmas and Fireworks… Oh My!

 
Despite the recent looting, protests, strikes, and civil unrest, the Christmas spirit was in full bloom in Cordoba, Argentina. 
For a country that is considered to be in an economic crisis, people sure were spending an awful lot of money. The nice thing is that people in the province seem genuinely happy… for the most part. 
Last year was tough for me because it was my first Christmas in Argentina, and my spouse Zach was in New York. This year I had the fortune of spending the holidays with him, but it was bittersweet. After twelve years together, of which we've spent a year and 9 months legally married, we’ve mutually decided to end our marriage. The stress caused by living abroad, and the financial and emotional consequences that came with it, has forced us to make this painful choice. We have, however, remained friends and will continue to live together. We still care very deeply for each other and we will continue to support and look after one another as we try to adjust to life in Argentina. 

We enjoyed a quiet Christmas Eve meal with our friend, Brian. We decided to avoid making a big production like we did during Thanksgiving because of our budget, and also our recent breakup, but we still had a great time. 
After dinner, we sat in the living room and watched a few films. We’re basically three huge sci-fi fans, so we watched "Terminator Salvation" and "Pandorum" on my Blu-Ray player. 
We went outside and watched the fireworks. People in Argentina light these up as if it was New Year at the stroke of midnight. I took some video footage and added it under the photo of the fireworks. 
With most of our friends either visiting their families in the States, or in nearby provinces, I expect New Year’s Eve to be uneventful. I’ll admit that I can’t wait to say goodbye to 2013 and hello to 2014.

I hope all of my friends, both in the States and in Argentina, and of course, my readers from all over the world, had a fantastic Christmas and a Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Espero que todo se arregle y que el próximo año sea mil veces mejor,Feliz 2014¡¡¡¡ :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Laura! Gracias por tus deseos y espero que tambien te vaya bien el 2014.

      Delete
  2. The news about your divorce really caught me by surprise. I hope is for the best and I wish you both the best in this 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you so much. It's been tough on us because we do still care about each other and due to the circumstances, we are still living under the same roof. However, I felt that I had done so much for my ex over the last 12 years, including this huge move to Argentina. Unfortunately, the transition to a different country took its toll and he shut down emotionally. I didn't really feel that it was fair for me to be with someone who couldn't be there for me on an emotional level. Although he and I are trying to work things out as friends, I feel like I'm ready to move on with my life.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Although it's sad that you've decided to end such a great marriage, I'm totally amazed that you've ended it in such a cordial fashion, and that you've remained friends despite the separation. I've seen a few friends who have divorced and are friends with their former partners, but it took them some time to achieve that level of friendship again. That fact made me realize that even at the most tragic of events, a glimmer of joy can still arise. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    Curtis Arnold @ Divorce Mortgage Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtis,

      Yes. It is indeed sad that the marriage ended. I wish it hadn't but fortunately we still care so much about each other that we are still able to remain great friends. Now the tough part is moving on while still living under the same roof hahaha.

      Delete