Saturday, March 22, 2014

An Academic Win at the National University of Cordoba

Friday, March 21st, 2014 brought a huge victory for me, but I’m jumping ahead. So let’s go back to February 3rd, 2014.

It was my first day as a student at the psychology school at the National University of Cordoba (UNC). I didn’t know a single soul here and yet it was more crowded than a Ricky Martin concert.

Two and a half weeks later, I took and passed my first exam with a grade of 4, which suffice it to say, is the grade you get when you’ve passed by the skin of your teeth. However, I give myself kudos because it’s not easy reading, studying, and understanding an academic textbook that’s written in a language that I'm not accustomed to reading.

A week and a half later, we had to hand in a term paper, which the other two people in my group helped me write to some degree. I got a grade of 7 on the term paper, which at the university is equivalent to a B in the U.S.

Two weeks after that, I took the second test, which some would consider a final exam for the term if you got a 7 or higher on the first and second exam. Unfortunately, I got a 2 on the second exam and you need a 4 to start what’s considered year one of the psychology degree program. Obviously, I was bummed because I had busted my butt off studying hours on end.

Fortunately, I was given a second chance to make-up the test that had the lowest score. So I crammed for the exam and took it again two days later. After 48 grueling hours of waiting quite impatiently, I got my test score.

It was a 4!!!!!

So with the 1st exam with a score of a 4, the 2nd exam with a score of a 4, and the term paper with a score of a 7, I am now able to officially enroll in all the first-year psychology courses beginning April 1st. As a bonus, I also get a student bus pass, a lunch card which allows me to eat at the college cafeteria for practically nothing, and access to the gym. I can also check out books from the library, and I get dental and other health benefits.

Because I scored a 4 on both exams and not a 7 on each, I still have to do a final exam for the first pre-college course I took, and pass it before the end of the year. I get 6 chances throughout the year to retake this final exam until I pass it. It’s basically the first and second exam put together. If I fail to do this, then I won’t be able to take the exam for all of my first-year psychology courses at the end of the year.

So I still have a lot of work to do. Aside from my course workload, I’ll also have to tackle that final exam in order for my other coursework to count.

Now, what would have happened if I hadn’t gotten a 4 on the second exam? I would have been unable to register for any courses other than a non-intensive version of the pre-college course that I just finished taking. This would have set me back a year, which at 36 is a huge loss.


All in all, I think I did really well, and on top of that, I've met some incredible people along the way.
I have two weeks before the new term starts and I’m going to enjoy every single moment of that free time.

Next up is a trip to the province of San Juan, Argentina. It’s going to be very interesting and I promise to update the blog with photos and videos of that experience once I return from San Juan.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Happy to see you make friends and that working hard is paying off for you! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! Congrats to you as well on your marriage :-) Miss you. Love you!

      Delete