Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Expat Report: Month 3 - Adjusting To Life In Argentina

Three months ago, I made one of the toughest decisions of my life and relocated to Argentina with my spouse. The weeks that followed have been a learning experience for both of us.

Adjusting To The Changes
We now use kilos to weigh fruit, vegetables, cold cuts, meat, and pastries, instead of pounds. We think in pesos when making purchases instead of U.S. dollars. We use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit when determining the weather. We say, “Che! Boludo!” instead of “Hey! Moron!”when someone pisses us off. We’ve had to adjust to the seasonal changes too. When we arrived in June we were in winter. Now we are only a week away from spring in Argentina.
We’ve learned to appreciate the simple things. The stress level in Argentina (at least for an expat) is minimal. Argentineans are very laid back whether they´re dealing in business or pleasure.
Keeping Busy
My spouse is trying to become an Argentinean resident. The immigration process is grueling, but we will accomplish this. In the meantime, he has been keeping busy in the kitchen doing what he loves to do the best, baking cakes, pastries and many other treats. As for myself, I’ve been keeping busy by offering private English courses to students.
Long Term Goal
My goal for the next three months is to land myself a more permanent job. Teaching English is great but it’s not what I came to do in Argentina. I would also like to get my Argentinean driver’s license. I have my New York License but it’s irrelevant here if you are an Argentinean resident or citizen (as my case happens to be). I’d also like to learn the Castillian grammar a little better before I attempt to translate my novels to Castilian. Of course my main goal is clear. I have a self-imposed deadline of June 2014 to write and publish the sequel to my Vendetta novels.
 Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment